We have developed a powerful approach to soft intelligence management that harnesses patient experience and the variety of voices that are heard in the public domain, to generate actionable insight about your local population.
This approach is achieved by using the Insight database which collates, aggregates, analyses and reports quality data in real time to CCG staff based on their commissioning portfolio. This is supported by a model of involvement that uses multiple tactics to empower patients and the public to have a voice from GP practice level to board level.
Our Insight database is used to record all types of patient experience feedback including feedback from focus groups, consultations, surveys, social media, Patient Opinion, NHS Choices, media, MP letters, Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and complaints. The database categorises the feedback under five domains of patient experience and allocates it to the provider of the service. This allows a picture of provider performance via real time patient experience dashboards making the information available to CCGs, contract management and quality staff within the CSU, as well as to colleagues at the NHS England area team.
The Insight model has been transformed into a total quality system by entering clinical feedback from GPs and by reporting incidents in primary care settings. All data comes together and is reported in real time to identify themes and trends across the quality spectrum.
This holistic approach has been pioneered by Stoke-on-Trent CCG and has been rolled out to all 54 GP practices. Work is now under way to roll it out to the GP practices in Telford & Wrekin and Shropshire, with the other six CCGs to follow. This will see 260 practices using the system to improve services for patients and the public. This multi award-winning insight database is now being rolled out to CCGs in Lancashire, with an implementation plan for GP practices.
The potential to use data across this wide range of organisations would go a long way towards understanding the voice of local patients and the wider public, enabling service transformation and integration to be undertaken in a more meaningful and managed way.
What can you use Insight for?
- Logging patient experience feedback from multiple sources
- Recording clinical feedback from GPs about any clinical effectiveness concerns
- Entering incidents in primary care settings
- Planning review of commissioning intentions
- Reviewing services highlighted as outliers from monitoring themes and trends
- Assure the patient congress of actions based on direct patient feedback
- Logging and workflow management of complaints, PALS, incidents and feedback
- Reporting on "You said, we did"
- Access to real time reporting via dashboards
- Setting up flags for services of concern
- Refreshing the communications and engagement strategy, based on what patients are saying
- Managing contracts and improving the quality of services
- GP practice assurance visits
What are the benefits?
- Real time monitoring via web-based system
- System allows multiple levels of access so that staff can see the data relevant to their role
- Data sharing across CCGs and the NHS England area team gives a true picture of patient experience, clinical effectiveness and safety across primary, secondary and tertiary care providers
- Workflow management, single record, full audit trail and ability to allocate actions through the system
- Standard operating procedures for data entry, reduction in time spent per case and high return on investment ratio
- Multiple organisation approach with opportunities to work across health and social care as well as acute, community and mental health services.